Are you looking for inspiration for the name of your adopted cat? Having spent time around many adopted cats and their owners, names can be influenced by many factors such as where the poor cat was found, its colorization or other physical traits. Sometimes a mix of a few factors will strike the best chord. e,g, Snow ball would be a nice idea for a white stray found in the snow. Black cats are even named after other black animals like panthers.
Perhaps the poor cat is suffering from a natural mishap like a bumble bee bite can be forever known as ‘Bumblebee’. Some names reflect the sex of the adopted cat. Missy, Daisy, Sweety are good examples of feminine names for cats while Butch, Tom and Tiger are good examples of boy names.
Perhaps choosing your cat’s trait in another language adds an exotic touch you’re hunting for. For example, ‘noir’ is black in French and, ‘nero’ in Italian which would make creative names for adopted, stray cats.
Email me or comment below if you’ve got a fantastical or simply a smart name idea for an adopted, stray cat.
Black or Dark Cats
- Nero (Black in Italian)
- Shadow (your cat may never want to leave your side)
- Paw Paw (orange colored fruit)
- Shere Khan
- Snow ball
- Swanny (Taken from a swan)
- Snow Flake
- Cotton socks (perhaps the cat has white feet)
- Bianca ( feminine name)
- Bowie ( Gaelic words for blonde)
Other Physical Trait Name Ideas for Adopted Stray Cats
- Shiner (slang for a black eye)
- Bush Tail
- Leo (Named after a lion for its shaggy appearance)
- Van Gogh ( For cats with one ear)
- Bob ( As in Bob cat)
- Grizzly (large and brown cats)
- Yoda (Perhaps if your cat has large eyes and a small nose common in the Britih breed)
- Pumpkin (round face)
- Frothy (white moustache)
Luck of Being Adopted
- Nueve (9 in Spanish referring to 9 lives)
- Harry Potter
Names Alluding To When and Where the Cat Was Found
- Cobweb (Found covered in cobwebs)
- Twist (after orphan Oliver Twist)
- Bones (found hungry)
- Mole (Buried like a mole)
- Dumpy (found in a dump)
Names Alluding to Bravery
- Legion (bravery of a Roman legion)
- Adira (Strong female in hebrew)
- Alessia (Italian female for Strong)
- Lu Lu (German for famous battle)
- Harry (Harry Potter)
- Gulliver (Gulliver’s travels0
- Miles (He runs miles and miles)
- Vamps (vampire: shy in the day time).
- YoYo (always coming and going)
- Fiester (always fiesty)
- Tardis (reference to Dr Who’s tardis that looked small on the outside but was big on the inside. A simile about always eating).
- Crooner (always vocal)
- Pigeon (always travels far but can find its way home)
- Domingo (often vocal and named after opera singer Plácido Domingo).
Random Name Ideas for Adopted Cats
- Chit Chat
I hope these 115 name ideas for adopted cats have inspired you to find a great fitting name for your adopted new friend. If you have any doubts spend time with the cat and get to know it and the name should slip into your mind as easily as a cat sliding on to your lap.
You may like: What Should I do if I Lose my Cat or Dog?